wildness was founded by Michelle Tudor and Peter Barnfather in 2015, and operates as an imprint of Platypus Press.
We were honoured when wildness was featured by Poets & Writers in their Nine New Lit Mags You Need to Read feature (Nov/Dec 2016), mentioning that
Wildness features formally inventive work by both established and emerging writers that embraces the mysteries of the self and the outside world. wildness was also included in Entropy Magazine’s Best of 2017 and Best of 2018 lists, in their presses, magazines, publishers and journals category.
We have also answered questions about the journal (and press) for some great places, inc. the Poetry Society of America’s Site Visits section, Moveable Type in AWP Writer, the Small Press interview series from Entropy, as well as the Chicago Review of Books’ Dear Poetry Editor feature.
Work published in wildness has been featured in or by Best of the Net, The Best Small Fictions, Bettering American Poetry, and The Best American Essays, as well as on multiple occasions in Verse Daily’s Web Weekly feature.
- There will only be one funeral, by Benjamin McPherson Ficklin, and The New York Times reports that 200 Iraqi civilians have been killed by U.S. military airstrikes, by Clint Smith, were both selected by Rilla Askew for inclusion in The Best Small Fictions 2019.
- Lone wolf narrative, by Kristin Chang, and Lore, by Nancy Huang, were both listed on Entropy Magazine’s Best of 2018, in their ‘Favorite Poems Published Online’ category, and [ Nests ], by Yeji Ham, was listed in their ‘Favorite Online Fiction’ category.
- Tim Carrier’s poem Dreams of Love, was featured by Poetry Daily.
- Yesterday Is a Wild Parrot, by David Rompf, was selected by Hilton Als and Robert Atwan in the ‘Notable Essays and Literary Nonfiction’ section of The Best American Essays 2018.
- Tariq Luthun’s poem Hårb (Or on Waging War in Spite of God) was selected by Eduardo C. Corral for Best of the Net 2017.
- Chen Chen’s A Favorite Room was included in Bettering American Poetry, Volume 2.
- The Truth About Distance, by Gen Del Raye, and tree rot, by Alvin Park, were both selected by Amy Hempel for inclusion in The Best Small Fictions 2017.
You can find wildness listed on Duotrope, Poets & Writers, and CLMP.